There is a neat trick you can do to get more people opening your emails and more of them sent to your inbox. On top of that it will get your subscribers to interact with you more which is always a good thing. That trick?
Get them to reply to your email
What I would recommend *everyone* do right now, is to edit their “Day 1″ follow up email in RocketResponder. For users of other software it would be your first followup aka your “welcome” email.
In this email get your new subscriber to do two things:
- Get them to follow you on twitter (provide a *link* to your twitter page)
- Get them to reply to your email saying they’ve done so (make sure you use *your* email in the list settings)
This magic trick does a few things. It’s so powerful it gets me really, really excited. In fact, I had to stop writing this article to make sure my Day 1 email had it for my blog! The tricks this will do:
- Replying to the email will add your email to their contacts list on many email providers. The email provider knows you emailed this person so it will prioritize your email now. You’ll find your emails going to inbox right away, and in some cases any images in your email will get auto loaded because you are a contact!
- Clicking a link in the email tells the provider they like your content. They track this interaction and use it in their delivery algorithms.
- It builds a relationship. This is powerful for you with your sales goal. When someone first subscribes, they want something from you. Getting them to interact with you is huge. Keep the conversation going and build trust with them!
It’s really remarkable how much data is tracked by Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc for email delivery. They are constantly trying to come up with new ways to weed out important emails and unimportant emails. You want your emails to be labeled as important.
Now I’m sure at least some of you are wondering why go through all this trouble, RocketResponder is supposed to get your emails delivered.. Right? Right!
The thing is, we’ll get your email delivered, but these guys are smart enough to know which emails are from you or from me or from another list. Our job gets your email delivered, it’s your job to get it opened. Part of that is building a good reputation with your list yourselves so your emails get prime time listings. And this trick really doesn’t take much effort at all to do!